Monday, March 29, 2010

"Death's Daughter: A Calliope Reaper-Jones Novel" by Amber Benson

Book Description:

For the last few years I'd been in a state of bliss -- living under a self-imposed Forgetting Charm, because I so did not want to go into the family business. What I wanted was a glamorous career in New York City and the opportunity for a normal life -- buying designer shoes on sale, dating guys from craigslist, Web surfing organic dim sum for my boss. And then my father's Executive Assistant, a faun named Jarvis, showed up to tell me that my dad had been kidnapped.

Good-bye, Forgetting Charm. Hello, (unwanted) responsibility. Not only am I expected to step into the CEO slot on the company Board, but I have to "prove my worth" by competing against the Devil's protege -- who's so hot in more ways than one. The contest involves finding three (why is it always three?) objects of power. In Hell.


One of them is this adorable puppy -- who happens to be a hellhound.
The others are turning out to be not much fun. All this so I can take
(unwanted) charge of Death, Inc.


My name is Calliope Reaper-Jones, and I'm Death's daughter.



Review:
One of my favourite things about the urban fantasy genre is that the heroine is always a strong character that every girl can look up to, and "Death's Daughter" does not disappoint on that front. "Death's Daughter" is the first in a new series by Amber Benson and her first book written by just herself. You may recognize Amber Benson's name from her collaboration with Christopher Golden on the "Ghosts of Albion" series. And if that's not the reason her name rings a bell, it's probably because of her role as Tara Maclay on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show for three seasons.
All that aside, this is a great novel. I liked Calliope the moment she was introduced. She's a real character that everyone can relate to. She deals with very human emotions and talks like a real human being. The story is told in first person from Calliope's point of view, and I must say, it is a very entertaining point of view. I also quite like how we watch as she grows into a much stronger person as she progresses through the tasks set to her to claim her title of Death.
Calliope's interactions with other characters are also quite hilarious, be they the thoughts in her head or their actual conversations. The thoughts about every man she meets make you want to laugh but you can easily relate to since they're the same thoughts most women have when meeting an amazingly attractive man for the time...and yes, all the men she meets along the way are very attractive, but they are all Deities so what can you expect.
My favourite character relationship would have to be between Calliope and Kali, the Hindu Goddess of Destruction. My only issue with it is I have a very strong urge to use the word "dipwad" every time I insult someone now.
Stepping away from the characters now, the story it's self is somewhat generic but it works out. Calliope is estranged from her family, but when he father is kidnapped, she's forced back into the family business to take over the company and search for her father. While taking control of the family business is not what Calliope would love to be doing with her time, she agrees when she's informed that if her father is not found, the whole family will loose their immortality, which would most likely result in the death of her father.
The story progresses at a good speed and time is not wasted on any un-needed details. I would sit down to read and look up and realize that it was two hours later when it only felt like one. The chapters always end on a cliff-hanger so you almost feel required to continue reading. Come on, no one likes to leave something at a cliff-hanger. My only qualm would be I didn't want the story to end. Needless to say, I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, "Cat's Claw". (I sense that Ms. Benson is a fan of alliteration.)
I would most likely recommend this novel to anyone who is a fan of the urban fantasy genre or anyone who just needs to find a good read. It's definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment